From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Time to move on?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:37:54
1 090322 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 02:58:57 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
3 >>> Now I'm doing an emerge -u world.
4 >> I never do that: I always do 'emerge -Dup world',
5 >> then decide which packages to update & emerge them individually.
6 > I hope you use --oneshot every time
7 > or your world file will be a complete mess by now :(
8
9 Yes, there's always someone who says that (grin).
10 Of course, it's 2nd nature to check for 'W' or 'S' in my list
11 & if the pkg has neither, make sure to 'emerge -1 <pkgname>'.
12 Anyway, isn't 'world' going to vanish with the new '@' sets ?
13
14 >> I also have a list of all the pkgs I have installed with dates + deps,
15 >> which I keep upto-date by hand as I emerge items.
16 >> I've never understood why 'emerge world' is considered standard:
17 >> repeatedly, there are appeals for help resulting from its shortcomings.
18 > One or two problems a week against the thousands of people running it
19 > each day does not indicate a problem. I'd say that avoiding blockers etc
20 > by selectively skipping upgrades is more likely to lead to problems later.
21
22 No, people run 'emerge world' in the background, miss the messages
23 & then run into nasty trouble for omitting RR or 'etc-update'.
24 That's the spirit of Ubuntu & the rest, not the hands-on Gentoo approach.
28 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
29 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
30 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca