From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how do you keep up with system administration?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 07:30:44
1 On Tue, 29 May 2007 23:05:56 -0400, Denis wrote:
2
3 > > I use 'gunzip -c /proc/config.gz > .config && make oldconfig'
4 > > consistently, never had a problem. I always keep a working kernel
5 > > in
6 >
7 > Oh neat-o! I didn't know there was a copy of the running config
8 > in /proc...
9
10 It's an option you need to enable in the kernel, or you can copy .config
11 from your current kernel source directory.
12
13 > Does this basically just insert the current kernel configuration
14 > inside the menuconfig interface of the new kernel as the starting
15 > point? How does this play with the new kernel options that have since
16 > appeared or those that have been eliminated? I suppose you still have
17 > to check over every menu in the new kernel to make sure you're not
18 > missing anything...
19
20 That's what make oldconfig does, and prompts you for any new items.
21 There's no need to run menuconfig unless you want to change something.
22
23 Waiting for kernel version releases is not a good idea and the -r updates
24 generally include security fixes. Read the Changelog and decide whether
25 you need that particular update, some fixes only apply to certain
26 architectures. Like many others, I have a cron task that syncs then mails
27 the results of emerge -upvDN world to me, but I have added --changelog to
28 that command so the mail also contains the details of each update.
29
30 This runs in the early hours, so I can read it whenever it suits me during
31 the day and apply the changes as I want. I run testing, so frequent
32 updating is a good thing; with a stable system, weekly would be fine, but
33 the longer you leave it the more work is involved.
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 "Time is the best teacher....., unfortunately it kills all the students"