From: Yahya Mohammad <mfyahya@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sun java from source?
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 23:12:32
1 On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 10:33:31AM +0100, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2 > When will we (or better, portage) be able to compile java from sources?
3 > What's the status of the transition? How does openjdk relate to sun-jdk?
4
5 Apparently there are some bits in sun-jdk licensed from 3rd parties that
6 are proprietary. Openjdk project is to replace the proprietary pieces to
7 get a fully buildable open source java. However, there's already a
8 project called IcedTea that combines the open parts of Java with GNU
9 classpath to get a useable jdk. I found a package of it for one of my
10 boxes running ubuntu, and it works fine. Maybe we should have an ebuild
11 for it too..
12 --
13 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list