From: Alan Grimes <alonzotg@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pain, PAIN, and more pain again.
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 06:50:16
1 Laurence Perkins wrote:
2 > I know how it goes. But do be fair, it was the motherboard manufacturers who changed how the boot process works, not the penguins. 😉 The penguins are just trying to adapt to it.
3 >
4 > I'm not sure where your problems are coming from. I use CUPS by IP address in my setup. You just need to also use static IP addresses for all your printers, etc. Or else things may randomly stop working when your router reboots.
5 >
6 > As for your update woes, I handle it by using a setup that supports snapshottable subvolumes. I put my personal files on one, and the OS on another. Then, for updates, you take a snapshot first, and if it all goes kablooey you can easily roll back while you sort out the issue. For bonus points you can update the snapshot and then switch to it and delete the original only once you have everything working the way you like it again.
7 >
8 > In this case though, I think your trouble comes from trying to install a version of Chromium that's still in development. That's why it was masked. Masks like that usually indicate that there's something horribly wrong with it and you shouldn't use it unless there's no choice. Try 103 maybe? The betas usually work.
9
10 Nah, actually once all the crap and annoyances cleared my entire failure
11 list looks like:
14 atg@tortoise /var/tmp/portage $ tree -L 2
15 .
16 ├── dev-lang
17 │   ├── spidermonkey-78.15.0
18 │   └── spidermonkey-91.10.0
19 ├── dev-texlive
20 │   └── texlive-latex-2021
21 ├── net-misc
22 │   └── ipv6calc-4.0.1
23 └── www-client
24     └── falkon-22.04.2
25
26 9 directories, 0 files
27 atg@tortoise /var/tmp/portage $
28
29 ####
30
31 which is basically the shortest it's ever been. Spidermonkey wanted to
32 build against LLD-13 but rust was built against LLD-14 which was a
33 problem for some reason... =\ The others were similar failures, Ipv6calc
34 was a major WTF, it was like they were building a library by patching
35 all of the clients instead of just pushing out a header, so no wonder
36 that failed. I forgot about the other two, very very stupid problems
37 that aren't even worth thinking about.
38
39 My main problem as of the last post was that I had PART of the LLVM-14
40 suite installed so chromium could not find a LLVM version that had all
41 of its parts available and started using language that confused me with
42 a different gentoo concept.
43
44 Once that and a few other log jams were cleared, (I had to emptytree
45 world the system to get much of it to update...) but after that and a
46 few rebuilds after that, everything quieted down and is working again.
47 The procedure for using steam overlay has changed radically from the
48 earlier procedure. =\
51 Beware of Zombies. =O
52 #EggCrisis #BlackWinter
53 White is the new Kulak.