From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux viruses
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 08:52:59
1 On 06/07/2013 00:21, Dale wrote:
2 > I'm still trying to figure out what he thought he would accomplish tho.
3 > I can't get my head wrapped around that yet.
4
5 That's easy to answer.
6
7 The fellow probably doesn't know much.
8
9 If you want a brilliant example, just go read a wide bunch of threads on
10 the Gentoo Forums. You will find some gems in there, you'll also find a
11 level of cluelessness that is hard to wrap your brains around, and the
12 noise to signal ratio is out the roof.
13
14 Fellows working in stores (often at low wages) are not any different.
15
16 Technically, he's not wrong - any OS is just as susceptible to viruses
17 as any other, you just have to get over the first hurdle which is
18 getting code to run. The overall design of Windows has historically made
19 this somewhat easy, and the overall design of Windows users made it
20 easier still.
21
22 Using Occam's Razor, I'd guess the fellow behind the counter is not too
23 different from fellows behind counters everywhere, and he's running on
24 one of these motivations:
25
26 1. He will punt what earns him more money (he's in sales after all)
27 2. He will defend the thing he sells (usually by talking down the
28 competition)
29 3. Just repeats some line he heard somewhere and doesn't really
30 understand the topic (but is convinced he does)
35 Alan McKinnon
36 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com