From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Are "push" backups flawed?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 00:48:00
1 >>>>> And if I pull, none of my backed-up systems are secure because anyone
2 >>>>> who breaks into the backup server has root read privileges on every
3 >>>>> backed-up system and will thereby "gain full root privileges quickly."
4 >>>>
5 >>>> IMO that depends on whether you also backup the authentication-related
6 >>>> files or not. Exclude them from backup, ensure different root passwords
7 >>>> for all boxes, and now you can limit the infiltration.
8 >>>
9 >>> If you're pulling to the backup server, that backup server has to be
10 >>> able to log in to and read all files on the other servers. Including
11 >>> e.g. your swap partition and device files.
12 >>
13 >> What if I have each system save a copy of everything to be backed up
14 >> from its own filesystem in a separate directory and change the
15 >> ownership of everything in that directory so it can be read by an
16 >> unprivileged backup user?
17 >
18 > You've just reinvented the push backup =)
19 >
20 > If separate-directory is on the same server, an attacker can log in and
21 > overwrite all of your files with zeros. Those zeros will be pulled to
22 > the backup server, destroying your backups.
23
24 That's not the case at all. The zeros would be pulled to the backup
25 server via rdiff-backup and saved as a new version in the repository.
26 The backups would be safe.
27
28 - Grant
31 > If separate-directory is on the backup server...