From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Theoretical install Question
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 00:28:04
1 On Wednesday 23 May 2007 02:13:18 burlingk@×××××××××.mil wrote:
2 > If nothing else the handbook says that Gentoo etiquite says not
3 > to rsync your portage tree more than once a day.  For the average
4 > distro, once a week or even once a month is more than sufficient
5 > to keep up with the packages in the main branch.
6
7 If you wait more than 30 days between syncs you risk missing messages in
8 package.mask. Packages must be in package.mask for 30 days before being
9 removed from the tree...
10
11 > I think that I will probably be better off doing a stage three
12 > install, then doing an 'emerge -euD world' or similar before
13 > moving on from there.
14
15 Err.. what was the purpose of that `emerge -e world` ? (-u and -D does
16 absolutely nothing when used with -e).
19 Bo Andresen