From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: reiserfsprogs
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:59:28
1 On 7/31/07, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann <at> tu-clausthal.de> writes:
5 > > > > I've never seen starting up X/kde cause a system to hang before...
6 >
7 > > > Is the whole system handing, or just X?
10 > The entire system latches up tight, even the ssh remote shells and console.
11 >
12 > > > Do you have a networked computer
13 > > > you can SSH in from, that would enable you to kill X.
14 >
15 > I start X(kde) with startx. I followed the guides in
16 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml
17 >
18 > Code Listing 2.4: Configuring your local session
19 > $ echo "exec startkde" > ~/.xinitrc
20 >
21 > X/kde runs fine, but when I exit it now, the system latches up, tight
22 > all ssh sessions, the console, everything.
26 Try Disabling anything fancy ( ie: composite support ), or try
27 disabling APIC. I had a glitch a while back where composite + apic =
28 system lockup, and later, something in QT4 tripped it up.
32 > > > If all else fails,
33 > > > and provided you have enabled CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ in your kernel, hold
34 > > > down Alt and SysReq/PrtScr and press S, U and B in turn to reboot
35 > > > (reasonably) cleanly. Pausing a couple of seconds between each key is
36 > > > probably a good idea.
37 >
38 > Interesting idea however this laptop does not have this key "SysReq/PrtScr".
42 > > E, I, S, U, B
43 >
44 > > so everything is killed, and nothing trying to write to disk, when unmounting
45 > > them.
48 > Hmm, I do not think you understand, when I exit X/kde the entire system is
49 > latched up tight. None of the keys work, nothing is echoed to the screen,
50 > the system is latched up tight. All I can do is power cycle the system.
51 > When I do that the screen fades and the mouse cursor is visible but slowly
52 > fades to a solid white screen. The system hangs at the very moment I use
53 > the logout button in kde, to exit the system.
54 >
55 > Very strange and very repeatable.....
56 >
57 > maybe emerge --emptytree world?
58 >
59 > revdep-rebuild -p is fine.
60 >
61 > I am clueless how to fix this... ideas?
64 > James
68 > --
69 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
75 Kent
76 ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|
77 print "enNOSPicAMreil kdrtf@×××.com"[(2*x)..(2*x+1)]}'
78 --
79 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list