From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] failure to login with xdm or gdm
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 15:11:28
1 On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > Just today I cannot log into one of my machines (the other has not had
3 > an emerge since early yesterday and is ok).
4 >
5 > With gdm, I don't get a welcome screen.  Just the funny cursor going
6 > round and round.
7
8 I had a similar problem with GDM back when I first tried GNOME 3.0.
9 The (very hard to track) reason was that my installation of GDM was
10 really old, and the group for the gdm had changed from the 2.x days. I
11 had to uninstall gdm, delete the user and group gdm, completely delete
12 /var/lib/gdm, and install gdm again for it to work.
13
14 What does
15
16 $ grep gdm /etc/passwd