From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Random reboots. Where to start?
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 23:15:55
1 On Sunday 27 February 2011 23:34:09 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Sunday 27 February 2011 19:43:10 Mick wrote:
3 > > [...] when I had a failing memory module I would often end up with
4 > > corrupted files all over the place. Think about it, when the memory
5 > > gave up some write on disk function was invariably foo-barred.
6 >
7 > What, though, if you get hang-ups in some OSs but not in others, and never
8 > a sign of file corruption?
9
10 Ha! I remember on an old machine when in WinXP would rarely if ever crash,
11 while in Gentoo would crash every time. Different OS' use memory differently.
12
13 After a year or so though the WinXP installation eventually corrupted itself
14 irreparably, while Gentoo (on reiserfs) soldiered on. Eventually, I bought
15 new memory modules and there were no more crashes.
16
17 memtest 86+ showed no errors, so I didn't know what to blame for all these
18 crashes. After close observation I discovered that the machine would crash
19 the moment it tried to start swapping. This would typically happen in the
20 middle of an emerge, which was rather annoying, and/or when updatedb was
21 running. The particular MoBo/memory controller had a dislike for memory
22 modules which were not identical. With new identical modules it never crashed
23 again.
24 --
25 Regards,
26 Mick