From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Init Scripts Not Starting
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 04:32:22
1 Hey list,
2
3 A little while after I compiled Gnome and got things running, I lost the
4 ability to add scripts to the default runlevel. I can run rc-update add
5 xdm default, for example, and the xdm symlink will appear in
6 /etc/runlevels/default, and that symlink will indeed point to
7 /etc/init.d/xdm, but xdm will not start. Further to that, there's no
8 evidence to indicate that RC is even trying to start it. No errors, no
9 logs, no nothing. Same goes for virtualbox-guest-additions and sysklogd.
10 I tried logging rc and got absolutely nowhere. There's nothing overt in
11 dmesg either.
12
13 The really fun part is these scripts function perfectly if I run them after
14 boot.
15
16 Since there's no evidence of this problem in any logs or during the startup
17 process, I assume there is no problem and I am doing it wrong.
18
19 Thoughts?