From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] ESATA drive changes the root device -- how to deal with it?
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 21:26:45
1 walt wrote:
2 > Okay, my root partition is on /dev/sda (normally), which is a sata
3 > drive connected to the onboard sata controller.
4 >
5 > The problem is that I also have a plug-in ESATA docking station, which
6 > is not always powered on. When it *is* powered on, my kernel names the
7 > disk /dev/sda, and that forces the root device to be named /dev/sdb
8 > instead of sda. Crashing ensues during bootup...
9
10 Here's an interesting factoid -- somewhere between kernel 2.6.28 and
11 2.6.30, the system for naming scsi disks changed. All I did was use
12 a newer kernel and the reversing device names went away.