From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How should I clean up my broken system?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:48:31
1 Hi, Gentoo!
2
3 As reported in other threads, my new PC had a broken RAM stick in it.
4 As a result, an unknown proportion of installed binaries are flaky. One
5 non-functioning binary is probably GCC.
6
7 What I'd like to do is reinstall every binary, yet without erasing any
8 configuration info, whose creation was so arduous.
9
10 Where does portage keep it's list of installed packages? What do I have
11 to do to persuade portage it has _no_ installed packages before doing
12 'rm -rf *' in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin?
13
14 Has anybody any other tips to offer me for this operation?
17 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).