From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 11:04:12
1 On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:06:29 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > Some historical correctnesses about Canek:
4 >
5 > - He has been here for years
6 > - He has contributed here for years
7 > - He supports systemd and has offered more help and explanation about
8 > systemd to it's users on this list than any other single person, bar
9 > none
10 > - He has never, not once, slagged off SysV Init, OpenRC or any other
11 > init system, ot the creators or the users
12 > - He has never posted rude or inflamatory comments about anyone arguing
13 > against him
14 > - He has never resorted to ad-hominem and never posted any knee jerk
15 > opinions about any other poster wrt their stance on init systems
16 >
17 > If we look at the reverse we see a very different picture, and it's
18 > right here in this very thread. To the poster who rudely commented about
19 > Canek being a professor and that doesn't make him right and that he is
20 > one voice, step back pal and take a very long hard look at what you
21 > said. Yes, it doesn't make him right. Also doesn't make him wrong. His
22 > posts and the content are what make him right or wrong. There truly are
23 > fan bois on this list, but Canek is not one of them. It's the
24 > systemd-haters and Poeterring-haters who are being fan bois, painting
25 > all detractors with the same brush.
26
27 +1
28
29 It was Canek's rational explanations about systemd that made me
30 interested enough to try it, and I'm glad I did. He made good technical
31 arguments in favour of it whereas most of the arguments against it are
32 either based on Lennartphobia or false fact gained from other systemd
33 haters.
34
35 I also see the position as somewhat different with Gentoo, because openrc
36 is so much better than the other "traditional" systems out there, in fact
37 it shares some of the benefits of systemd. As a result, I run a mixture
38 of both systems. I prefer systemd now, but not enough to go through the
39 hassle of switching over an already working system. That wouldn't be the
40 case if those other systems weren't running openrc.
44 Neil Bothwick
45
46 Irritable? Who the bloody hell are you calling irritable?