From: David Morgan <david.morgan@××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why gentoo doesn't have long description?
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:24:58
1 On 11:57 Wed 24 Aug , Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > You know bud, read some rules, be polite.
3 >
4 > "If you have nothing good to say, say NOTHING!".
5 >
6 > Do you really THINK before replying? Have you added something to the
7 > question? Care more about WHAT people write than WHERE is it written,
8 > you'll be more happy. Comments like yours are good for old usenet
9 > users, and pointless today.
12 I told him how to stop top posting though. I also told him that some of
13 the information he had given was incorrect. I was just dumbfounded by
14 his stupidity, sorry.
15
16 > To the point, I never really had to read long descs provided at the
17 > website to have a good glance on what the program is, the fact that
18 > the desc showed in emerge -s is short doesn't make it less clear, in
19 > fact, it has all that matters. People searching with emerge usually
20 > KNOW what they're looking for.
23 Some of them are better/clearer/more informative than others, but I
24 guess that that's a separate issue.
25
26 > On the other hand, it wouldn't hurt to have a long description of the
27 > app somewhere available offline (like the universal CD, for example).
28 > I'm pretty sure they can use the same system of the website to provide
29 > this offline (but is it worth the trouble?).
32 The ones that are available are available 'offline' (i.e. in the portage
33 tree), as stated earlier in this thread.
34
35 Dave
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list