From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Sound card is only usable by one application at a time
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 05:09:53
1 On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 8:12 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 12/03/2009 01:23 PM, Yoav Luft wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Hi,
5 >> On my dell Vostro 1520, with intel hda ICH9 82801I sound card
6 >> (xSTAC92HD71B3, according to /proc/asound/card0/codec), only one
7 >> application can access the sound card at a time...
8 >
9 > I hope Nikos's suggestion will help you, but just in case it doesn't:
10 >
11 > Most people don't have any need for more than one application to use
12 > the sound card at the same time.  Do you have a special purpose in
13 > mind, such as mixing multiple sound tracks, professional-quality
14 > sound editing, film editing with special sound effects, or something
15 > similar?
16 >
17 > If you do, then you will be one of the very few people who actually
18 > needs to use pulseaudio, because it will allow multiple applications
19 > to use one sound card at the same time.  That is the purpose of
20 > pulseaudio.  But, as I said, very few people really need it.
21 >
22 > Can you explain more about what you are trying to do?
23
24 I'm not the OP, but it's been my experience that, when things aren't
25 configured to handle multiple processes using audio, you can't even
26 pause a movie in, say, mplayer to check out the youtube video a friend
27 just pointed you towards... which nowadays, is far from an uncommon
28 thing for a person to expect their computer to handle.
29
30 Lately, I've had zero issues with alsa pretty much configuring itself
31 properly, given I'm using the in kernel alsa drivers for my systems...
32 and it hasn't required any manual configuration of dmix or similar to
33 function properly. Last time I used a separate sound daemon (aside
34 from a short stent with Ubuntu on my netbook that, I think, had me
35 using pulseaudio), I was running esound to manage audio from a
36 headless box over my network... and ESD was playing nicely with other
37 straight alsa apps on the same box.
38
39 As a bit of a tip to the OP, since I'm going on about it all working,
40 while for them it isn't... 1) make sure you're using the alsa drivers
41 for your card and not oss (checking lspci -k) and 2) enable oss
42 emulation in the kernel (makes even OLD oss based software work
43 without much argument, in my experience).
46 Poison [BLX]
47 Joshua M. Murphy