From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Best way to improve interactivity with heavy disk activity?
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:26:23
1 On 1/12/2010, at 12:27pm, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > On Monday 29 November 2010 10:58:10 I wrote:
4 >
5 >> ... it'll be tomorrow before I have any emerging to do ...
6 >
7 > Well, what strange results. Desktop responsiveness is drastically
8 > improved. On the other hand:
9 >
10 > $ time (sudo emerge --sync)
11 > [...]
12 > real 10m3.185s
13 > user 0m6.331s
14 > sys 0m0.575s
15 >
16 > This is with a Gentoo rsync server on the same LAN segment. A P4 box on
17 > the same segment recorded about 65s for the same command - nearly 10
18 > times as fast.
19 >
20 > On this box, calculating dependencies took about another 10 minutes,
21 > though I couldn't time it accurately because it's only part of a
22 > process.
23
24 This was using CK sources? I'm ready to try them later this evening.
25
26 Stroller.