From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Better CPU for compiling with gcc
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 19:05:28
1 On Tuesday 10 Nov 2015 19:41:46 Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On 10/11/2015 21:07, Stanislav Nikolov wrote:
4 > >> 8GB of RAM are waaay more than I use daily (several firefox tabs, nvim =
5 > >> 2Gb max), I have a pretty fast SSD too. Even buying 8GB RAM and a brand
6 > >> new SSD, I have > $450 left. Can I buy a AMD CPU that will get the job
7 > >> done faster than 6700k and/or cheaper?
8 > >
9 > > That changes things. It wasn't obvious you already had RAM & SSD & stuff.
10 > >
11 > > I'd first make sure I have a decent PSU - none of that crap puny
12 > > el-cheapo $300 shit (search list archives for 1000s of posts about dodgy
13 > > PSUs). Then split the difference between 8G RAM, a good CPU and an
14 > > excellent motherboard. You will use that extra RAM, and a motherboard
15 > > that ties all the bits together properly is much more cost-effective
16 > > than raw CPU grunt alone.
17 >
18 > If he needs a guide to at least increase the odds of getting a good P/S,
19 > this may help.
20 >
21 > http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Review_Cat&recatnum=
22 > 13
25 > I been reading their reviews for a few years. They are pretty tough.
26 > To be honest, if I picked out one that rated 8 on their scale, that
27 > would likely be a good P/S for me. You get into the 9's and it should
28 > be a really good one. Short of lightening, it would be the last thing
29 > I'd expect trouble from. They torture them pretty well. Should be the
30 > worst a P/S should ever see, example, air conditioner goes out and its
31 > really warm that day. Also, they take them apart so you can see what
32 > is inside them, good brand of caps for example. Still, they include the
33 > quality of the build and parts in their scoring. If a company skimps on
34 > that, they deduct points.
35 >
36 > Honestly tho, the P/S is a critical part. If it fails, it can wreak all
37 > kinds of havoc. I've seen P/Ss go out and take a mobo, hard drive or
38 > something else out with it. After all, pretty much everythign plugs
39 > into power somehow.
40 >
41 > Hope that helps.
42 >
43 > Dale
44 >
45 > :-) :-)
46 >
47 > P. S. Makes me want to upgrade my CPU to a 8 core now. I need a hard
48 > drive first tho. ;-)
51 Yes, a good quality PSU will safeguard your components and your data. Buy
52 something with Japanese capacitors.
53
54 BTW, let me correct earlier numbers .... My i7 timings are from a conventional
55 emerge of firefox with /var/tmp/portage on a spinning drive. The laptop does
56 not have enough memory to emerge FF on a tmpfs. :p
57
58 The AMD emerge timings was derived on a 2400MHz tmpfs. So this was somewhat
59 an apples and oranges comparison. Apologies for a bum steer. I wouldn't be
60 surprised if the latest skylake i7s on some Ripjaws DDR4 tmpfs wasn't able to
61 emerge it closer to 10 minutes. That would be quite an achievement compared
62 to your current PC.
65 Regards,
66 Mick