From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Looking at Sources
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 18:03:22
1 On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 11:36 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > A better method to review code?
5 >
6 > I find myself having to audit the code inside
7 > of ebuilds in order to understand how a given
8 > piece of code has been changed.
9 >
10 > So what I do is go to the /usr/portage/distfiles
11 > and then use vi to look at the file listing;
12 > move up and down to select the file of interest
13 > and then enter the file (yes from inside of vi).
14 > Not very elegant, but does not require unpacking the
15 > files.
16
17 I do the same with Midnight Commander.
18
19 > If I want  to unpack the sources and modify
20 > some code, what would be the recommended semantics?
21 > Maybe make a dir under /usr/local and open the packages
22 > as James-overlay(package), modify the code, install it
23 > and test? (What do the "Titans of code" do?)
24
25 It has to be unpacked at some point... For one-off changes to source
26 you can do something like:
27
28 ebuild /path/to/the.ebuild unpack
29 go to your portage tmpdir and edit stuff
30 ebuild /path/to/the.ebuild install
31
32 Keep in mind that your changes will disappear out of the tmpdir when
33 it's done. If you want it to persist, make a patch and use the
34 /etc/portage/patches mechanism to auto-apply it to future emerges of
35 that package.
36
37 If you're modifying ebuilds themselves then I would put it in your
38 local overlay.