From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo VM with VNC
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 19:13:19
1 On 2018-04-27 18:39, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
2
3 > Ah yes, X11 seems to be a new battle field for me in gentoo. While
4 > ~/.xsession was the way to have a custom startup in other distributions,
5 > it is ignored in gentoo, used via startx or wdm. I found something about
6 > ~/.xprofile but that is also not used anywhere. At least with startx,
7 > ~/.xinit is used. Any common way for that?
8
9 I think you mean .xinitrc in the last sentence, and that is what I use.
10
11 In general the gentoo way is that there is _no_ configuration done over
12 and above what the upstream install process would do. That is very
13 different from other distros and in particular from debian where a whole
14 intricate infrastructure exists to handle .Xsession for any imaginable
15 desktop and display manager. Look at the Xsession script somewhere
16 under /etc/X11 on a debian box to see what I mean.
17
18 So the answer to that question and your other question with vnc (and I'm
19 sorry I don't have a direct answer, or I would give it to you, of
20 course) is to study the documentation for the upstream projects, and set
21 up your own intricate infrastructure if you need one.
24 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
25 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
26 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
27 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.