From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mtune=k6-2 and a *small* upgrade
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 14:56:43
1 On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 15:43 +0100, Anthony Metcalf wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Anthony Metcalf wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> � � But what else? Will mtune=k6-2 make executables that will run on
6 > >> an Athlon 64? Anyone tried this? Would I get to a point where I could
7 > >> make -e world and have a nice working system?
8 > >>
9 > >
10 > > k6 is 32 bit right?
11 > >
12 > > There's no sane upgrade path to amd64, looks like you are in for a
13 > > reinstall
16 > Yes, 32bit, and Athlon 64s ran x86 last I heard :)
17 >
18 > The 64bit argument is one I will have to consider more deeply, but
19 > certainly in the near term, I won't gain anything from it, as I don't do
20 > *any* of the things the extended memory range is good for, and don't
21 > need more than 4GB RAM.......
22 >
23 > Later when I upgrade to a phenom, and stick 1GB RAM per core in there,
24 > then yeah, I will probably recompile into 64bit, but that can be done in
25 > a chroot, and migrated fairly easily I would expect, so long as the
26 > system is running.
29 It's not just the memory. Using 64bit gives your CPU some more registers
30 thus (possibly) making him faster and it speeds up 64bit calculations
31 (e.g. double precision floating point).
32
33 I don't think you'll need this for your purposes but I just wanted to
34 say: It's not just the 4 Gig.