From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I control size of /run (tmpfs)?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 06:36:29
1 On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 1:20 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > [ snip ]
4 >> Well, given that it's there, it cleans up after itself, and it avoids
5 >> issues in the instance where /var isn't available early on, is there
6 >> much reason _not_ to link /var/run and /var/lock over to their
7 >> respective equivalents on /run?
8 >
9 > I use systemd, which was the one introducing both /run and /run/lock:
10 >
11 > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2011-March/001757.html
12 >
13 > With systemd, /var/run and /var/lock are bind-mounted to /run and
14 > /run/lock respectively. /run uses in my laptop (regularly suspended,
15 > with an uptime of 25 days) 8.8 megabytes, which I think is basically
16 > nothing for my 4 gigabyte RAM.
17 >
18 > After more programs (dracut, plymouth) started using /run and
19 > /run/lock, OpenRC implemented the same functionality; or so I read
20 > somewhere, I haven't used OpenRC in a while. In theory, it should work
21 > the same as with systemd.
22
23 I take that back; OpenRC doesn't bind-mount /run in /var/run. I ssh'd
24 to a server running OpenRC, and /var/run is independent from /run. And
25 still a regular directory, not a tmpfs.
26
27 That's a shame. Given that udev uses /run (stable "old" version,
28 171-r6), OpenRC should use it too; there is basically no cost, and the
29 gains are obvious.
30
31 With systemd is automatic the bind-mounting of /run into /var/run.
32 Perhaps a future version of OpenRC will use it?
33
34 Regards.
35 --
36 Canek Peláez Valdés