From: Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux Kernel Warning
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:37:49
1 On Saturday, 15 July 2006 6:31, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
2 > Hi Folks:
3 >
4 > I received the following warning from SANS yesterday, and I need to know
5 > how to appropriately respond:
6 >
7 > http://www.isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1482
8 >
9 > To summarize the story at the above link, there appears to be a
10 > vulnerability in the linux kernel, which when exploited, will allow a
11 > user to gain root privileges.
12 >
13 > Normally, I would simply upgrade to the latest kernel from portage, and
14 > be done with it, however, here is the problem:
15 >
16 > QUOTING SANS HERE:
17 > "As all kernels 2.6.13 up to version 2.6.17.4 and 2.6.16 before
18 > 2.6.16.24 are affected, you should patch as soon as possible, even if
19 > you don't allow any local users on your machines."
20 >
21 > As of this morning, the latest Kernel version in portage is 2.6.16-r12.
22 > It seems that there is a different versioning / naming scheme used but
23 > im not sure. Can someone please let me know how to respond, or point me
24 > to appropriate reading so I can protect myself.
25
26 gentoo-sources-2.6.16-r2 includes the 2.6.16.24 patchset. Have a look at the
27 ebuild changelog:
28
29 http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources/ChangeLog
32 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck