From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python2.4-pyrex not found
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:06:01
1 On Wednesday 14 March 2007 18:20:40 Arnaud FARINE wrote:
2 > > > I must install the package python2.4-pyrex, I didn't find it.
3 > > > I found only python-pyrex. Same thing for this : python2.4-xml
4 > >
5 > > Some packages happen to have different names, depending on the
6 > > distribution. The names you mention seem to be debian package names.
7 > > I don't know python, but I guess that if you have python 2.4 in your
8 > > system (the latest stable version) you just need to install the gentoo
9 > > packages called "pyrex" and "pyxml" (python-pyrex is not a gentoo
10 > > package name).
11 >
12 > Thanks for your help but...
13 > The documentation of my app (synce/opensync) indicates to install
14 > python-pyrex and python2.4-pyrex...strange.!
15
16 Even python has ABI's that differ between major versions. On a source based
17 distro like Gentoo that just means packages like pyrex need to be remerged
18 when upgrading e.g. from python 2.4 to 2.5. This is why the python-updater
19 script exists.
20
21 On binary distros like Debian, however, reinstalling the same binary package
22 won't fix anything because it doesn't get recompiled. Therefore they create
23 multiple versions of the same package where the only thing that differs is
24 the ABI...
27 Bo Andresen