From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Peeve - finding kernel config options
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 19:59:31
1 Hello all,
2
3 This is for those of use who to choose to roll our kernels by hand...
4
5 So, am I missing something?
6
7 Given the most recent gentoo news item:
8
9 > # eselect news read 10
10 > 2014-02-25-udev-upgrade
11 > Title Upgrade to >=sys-fs/udev-210
12 > Author Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
13 > Posted 2014-02-25
14 > Revision 1
15 >
16 > The options CONFIG_FHANDLE and CONFIG_NET are now required in the kernel.
17
18 Whenever kernel config options are provided like this, it would be nice
19 if time was taken to provide the path to where they are found.
20
21 I had to find the first one (CONFIG_FHANDLE) by:
22
23 1. grepping .config, seeing it wasn't enabled,
24 2. running make menuconfig and searching for 'FHANDLE',
25 3. seeing it is located in 'General setup',
26 4. scouring the General setup options, finding no 'FHANLDE' anywhere,
27 5. finding something in all lowercase named 'open by fhanlde syscalls',
28 6. enabling this option, saving the modified config,
29 7. confirming it is now enabled by grepping .config again
30
31 Sheesh. Really?
32
33 Would be nice if the news item had something like
34 CONFIG_FHANDLE (General setup > 'open by fhandle syscalls')
35 and
36 CONFIG_NET (still don't know which one this is??)
37
38 Wackadoo...