From: Ralph Slooten <axllent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Multi-user pop3 mail delivery
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 10:13:40
1 > So if a mail is sent to A and B and only A is a valid user, both copies
2 > go to postmaster?
3
4 Exactly. This wasn't a problem as one employee would sift through the
5 postmaster email every day, that was until spammers started spamming
6 randomly generated addresses at their domain. She received all these
7 too :-/
8
9 > Not so, it forwards all mail for unknown users at one of your domains to
10 > a specified user, so I have "luser_relay=neil" to get all such mail sent
11 > to myself.
12
13 Ahh, I se what you mean. This howerver would lead to the same issue I
14 have above .. over populating the email with fake addresses and a load
15 of spam.
16
17 Before we get into the spam topic ... this is being sorted soon ;-)
18
19 > Ah, I see now. Having never used fetchmail in multi-drop mode (RTFMing
20 > is a good way of making sure I don;t even attempt things like this) I
21 > don;t know where you'd go next.
22
23 It is not fetchmail's fault ...it's multidrop... an email account was
24 never designed for several users, as in several accounts coming into
25 one, and then being split again after download. This is in fact what
26 is happening. MUltidrop is simply a "solution" to the problem, bt
27 it'snot failproof and stuff goes wrong. I thought there might be a
28 better way to solve the problem though, but the solution is simple:
29 get them onto a real system ;-)
30
31 Anyway, thanks for your input!
32