From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best way to copy /* ?
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 23:38:09
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:26:16 +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
4 >
5 > > > Which can be done with the -l option.
6 > >
7 > > You are mistaken: The -l option causes tar to warn if not all hars
8 > > links to a file could not be resolved.
9 >
10 > You are right. I was referring to the --one-file-system, which I thought
11 > had -l as the short option, but apparently not. Or has that changed in
12 > the last couple of years?
13
14 Tar did not change it's behavior with respect to -l during the past 31 years.
15
16 On Linux, there is frequently gtar installed as tar and gtar is not respecting
17 standards. Gtar in previous times was e.g. in conflict with the standard
18 regarding to -l. Aprox. 10 years ago, I files a bug report against gtar for
19 this standard deviation and it seems that they fixed this bug.
20
21 Jörg
24 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
25 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)