From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Ramon Fischer <Ramon_Fischer@×××××××.de>, Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cryptsetup close and device in use when it is not
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 08:31:17
1 Ramon Fischer wrote:
2 > Interesting.
3 >
4 > I have some other ideas, but this is really grasping at straws. Create
5 > a backup of the backup drive before doing any tests, since you have to
6 > move it a lot for this:
7 >
8 >    1. Connect the hard drive to a different eSATA port
9 >    2. Try another eSATA cable
10 >    3. Try to mount the hard drive on different devices
11 >    4. Try different hard drive cases with different connection types
12 >    (Maybe you have a better enclosure with USB or even FireWire, which
13 >    does not damage your drive?)
14 >    5. Connect it internally via SATA and try to mount it
15 >    6. Mirror the hard drive to a second hard drive and try to mount the
16 >    second one
17 >
18 > I think, this would entirely cover Layer 1 of the OSI Layer Model[1]. :)
19 >
20 > -Ramon
21 >
22 > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model
26 That's a lot of effort.  It's annoying it doesn't close like it should
27 but doing all that would be a tedious task as well.  It would eliminate
28 a lot of potential causes tho.  Thing is, I think it's a software issue
29 not hardware.
30
31 To add to this, the 6TB drive just did the same thing.  I had been using
32 UUID to mount it since it was working.  After getting the same problem
33 as the other drive, I changed it.  It took some effort to get it to
34 close but restarting lvm and friends did eventually get it to close.  I
35 then changed it to mount by label like I been doing with the 8TB drive.
36
37 I think by just continuing to note what it is doing, eventually the
38 problem will show itself.  Personally, I sort of wonder if it is a udev
39 problem or lvm.  Thing is, a lot of this software works together so
40 closely, it's hard to know where one stops and the other starts.
41
42 I finished my backups to the 8TB drive and it worked start to finish
43 with no errors at all.  I guess we'll see what happens next week with
44 the 6TB drive.  See if it starts to work again with no problem or still
45 has issues of some kind.  So far, mounting by label seems to have worked
46 well for the 8TB drive.
47
48 Will update again as things move along.
49
50 Dale
51