From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] executing a file on a usb thumb drive
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 10:50:27
1 Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
2 > Dale,
3 >
4 > On Sunday, 2020-03-22 04:34:54 -0500, you wrote:
5 >
6 >> ...
7 >> I wanted to post a couple things for future reference. First, it seems
8 >> this thing requires sudo to work.  Add the executable to the sudo file
9 >> thingy.
10 > I didn't do this, and it works anyway:
11 >
12 > # cat /etc/sudoers | grep crypt
13 > #
16 I wonder if this is a version issue.  When I was googling for this, it
17 was claimed this was a recent change.  That's my recollection anyway.
18 I'm using version veracrypt-1.24_p2.
19
20 >>   It does ask for a root password, to mount the USB stick I
21 >> guess.
22 > Not quite, it does ask for MY password, but only for the first mount
23 > after a login. And yes, under "Application Autostart" of XFCE I have
24 >
25 > /usr/bin/veracrypt --background-task
26 >
27 > If I remember correctly, when configuring VeraCrypt under Windows there
28 > is a checkbox for autostarting it on login.
29
30 I recall seeing there was a bug that affected XFCE but not all other
31 desktops.  I use KDE here.  It had something to do with the way the
32 program was started or something.  Since I don't use XFCE, I didn't get
33 into the details.
34
35 >> ...
36 >> I wanted this to work on windoze as well, I
37 >> chose vfat or whatever.
38 > My encrypted USB sticks (I have two identical ones, just in case) are
39 > NTFS formatted. And yes, naming files requires some caution. Under
40 > Linux files "A" and "a" can coexist, under Windows they can't.
41 >
42 > Sincerely,
43 > Rainer
47 Yea, it poses a problem.  In some ways, windoze has a advantage but in
48 some ways, Linux does.  Either way, it pays to be careful and to watch
49 for errors. It could result in files not be copied over.
50
51 So far, I like this software.  It's fairly easy to use considering what
52 it is doing.  The best part, it has a GUI.  That helps a lot.  It's a
53 lot easier to set options in a GUI than it is to remember a bunch of
54 options on a command line. ;-)
55
56 Dale
57