From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: amd64 installation: which file system?
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:59:12
1 On 7/20/06, Cliff Wells <cliff@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Well, the other "well-known" bit of info is that ext3 gets much of its
3 > "reliability" from syncing every 5 seconds. If you want to use XFS and
4 > get that sort of data reliability, here's a bash script to add to
5 > rc.local:
6 >
7 > ( while true; do sync; sleep 5; done )&
8
9 Well, you laugh, but my /etc/sysctl.conf contains:
10
11 vm.laptop_mode = 0
12 fs.xfs.xfssyncd_centisecs = 500
13
14 > You can also mount XFS in sync mode if you are paranoid, but be warned
15 > that it keeps your disks *very* busy.
16
17 Yeah. I would rather use ext3 with data=journal!
18
19 > So I guess the real question is this: what qualifies as "FS
20 > reliability".
21
22 Right. "Sucks" is imprecise in most circles.
23
24 But consider this...the entire value of a filesystem is the files it
25 contains. A filesystem that fixes itself by doing the equivalent of
26 "mkfs" on reboot from a crash will be both completely consistent, and
27 completely useless. By anyone's definition, it would "suck".
28
29 > cross-linked files and bad inode counts). Also, having to fsck a large
30 > disk array is going to be quite painful.
31
32 Yes, ext3 maintainers are well aware of this. Have you seen:
33
34 http://infohost.nmt.edu/~val/fs_workshop/
35
36 And the lwn article: