From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VMs - what technology would you advise?
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 00:21:56
1 On Tuesday 30 Dec 2014 22:01:00 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > For years now I have been running VirtualBox for testing purposes.
4 >
5 > I used to run vbox, but ran into some issues along the way and
6 > switched to KVM, with virt-manager as a front-end. It is a bit more
7 > complicated to get bridged networking set up, but it doesn't require
8 > any 3rd-party kernel modules to run. You might want to look into it.
9 > It isn't as user-friendly as VirtualBox, but all the features are FOSS
10 > (I forget if all the VirtualBox features are open-source - haven't
11 > used it in a while). You can run VMs via the front-end, or as
12 > daemons/etc.
13 >
14 > This wouldn't really fit your needs, but in general I'd advise anybody
15 > doing virtualization of linux guests to consider running containers
16 > instead. They are fairly mainstream technology now - the isolation
17 > isn't as good as virtualization from a security standpoint, and I have
18 > no idea if you can use one with a graphical console, but otherwise
19 > they give you almost all the benefits of running a linux guest with
20 > much better performance and far less overhead (no double-caching,
21 > etc). I've been moving to containers for more of my daemons as it
22 > generally reduces the hassle of updates (more updates to do, but when
23 > you do an update only one service can break at a time). Containers
24 > can even get their own network interfaces/IPs/etc - just like a VM.
27 Thank you All, it seems that VM is probably still the simplest solution for my
28 needs. I thought of looking into containers, but a few of the VMs are
29 MSWindows.
30
31 Also thank you Alec for pointing out selenium. I expect it would be useful
32 for automating the testing of more complex websites and web apps.
35 Regards,
36 Mick