From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BIG reiserfs problem
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 07:53:07
1 On Saturday 28 October 2006 19:51, Dale wrote:
2
3 > I'm thinking you could make the capacitors on the high voltage side
4 > MUCH larger so it would last longer. It would still have to be a
5 > fast shutdown though. Something like shutdown -h -t -5 minutes ago.
6 > LOL The only thing about that is charging them when you first turn on
7 > the computer.
8
9 Your average psu uses around 5000 - 15000 uF caps on the mains side.
10 That lasts about 3 mains cycles. I suppose you *could* rig up a 25F
11 array but the caps will cost more than an average desktop machine (!)
12
13 Batteries = much cheaper.
14
15 The main reasons no vendor builds a UPS into the power supply:
16 1. Weight
17 2. Extra cost
18 3. Lead/acid battery = presence of sulphuric acid = bad news for
19 motherboards
20
21 alan
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list