From: Bruno Lustosa <bruno.lists@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About --depclean
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:17:50
1 On 10/13/05, Rafael Barreto <rafaelmbarreto@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > The use of --depclean would not have erase only the dependences that are
4 > not more used for any applicatory one? If yes, why do I need to reconstruct
5 > the dependent applications of those dependences that I erased with "emerge
6 > -- depclean"? If no, please, clarify me about the functioning of
7 > "revdep-rebuild" that I did not understand its funcionality.
10 revdep-rebuild should be used when upgraded dependencies break a package.
11 for example, you have package A that has a dependency on library B.
12 you go and upgrade B, which happened to change its major version number.
13 now, package A doesn't work anymore, because the dynamic linker can't find
14 the old lib anywhere.
15 revdep-rebuild should locate and rebuild package A to link it against the
16 new library.
19 Bruno Lustosa, aka Lofofora | Email: bruno@×××××××.net
20 Network Administrator/Web Programmer | ICQ: 1406477
21 Rio de Janeiro - Brazil |