From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is setting "<=x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0" ????
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 13:26:37
1 On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > > To fix: unmerge the existing openmotif, merge the new one
3 >
4 >   But, but, but... isn't the whole point of "--update --world" to
5 > *UPDATE* to the latest available version?  Why is it that openmotif
6 > requires *MANUALLY* deleting the old version, when 99% of
7 > non-slottable apps and libs allow portage to delete the old version
8 > and replace it with the new version?  I'm obviously missing something
9 > here.
10
11 In general that is the way it works. Neil posted to that effect a few
12 hours ago. However, just because it usually works that way doesn't mean
13 it always should or will work that way. There's this pesky thing
14 called "real life" and the pesky "corner cases" that come with it.
15
16 Sometimes a new version of a package simply cannot co-exist with an
17 older version because of the way it's coded. Portage first builds a
18 package and installs it to a sandbox environment to ensure that the
19 package is buildable. Only when tis is established and proven, will it
20 delete the old version and move the new one onto the live filesystem.
21 If you have this co-exist problem with that package, you have to
22 manually unmerge the older one, as portage will not take the risk of
23 leaving you with an unusable package (that correctly is a decision that
24 a human must take, it is TheUnixWay(tm) and
25 TheOneTrueWayOfComputing(tm).
26
27 The lesstif/openmotif mess is slightly different. Openmotif has an odd
28 licensing scheme, so odd the Fedora (I think) has decided to not
29 support it at all. The relevant Gentoo dev wants to set things up so
30 that you have to have one or the other but not both. The sanest way to
31 deal with this is to force the user to make a decision and implement
32 it, and to not have to put up with whatever choice the dev happens to
33 think is ideal. This could have been better documented. In fact, there
34 should have been some documentation about it at all, but there isn't -
35 just a mysterious blocker. I only know it because I read the new
36 comments in $PORTDIR/profiles/packages.mask after every sync :-) And I
37 see those comments are no longer there :-(
38
39 It's just one of those things that we have to put up with occasionally
40 in real life
43 Alan McKinnon
44 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
47 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list