From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommended filesystem for an SSD drive and what mount setting to be used?
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 16:52:54
1 On Friday, 27 March 2020 10:08:12 GMT Michael wrote:
2
3 > man fstrim:
4 > [snip ...]
5 >
6 > "Running fstrim frequently, or even using mount -o discard, might
7 > negatively affect the lifetime of poor-quality SSD devices. For most
8 > desktop and server systems a sufficient trimming frequency is once a week.
9 > Note that not all devices support a queued trim, so each trim command
10 > incurs a performance penalty on whatever else might be trying to use the
11 > disk at the time."
12
13 OK, so I'll amend my crontab entry to '15 1 */2 * * /sbin/fstrim -a' or maybe
14 '*/3'.
15
16 I'm not keen on leaving it a whole week, as the machine runs continuously on
17 BOINC projects and I don't want to circumscribe it.
20 Regards,
21 Peter.