From: "Spackman
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] pam issues with crontab and xscreensaver
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 14:09:12
1 I recently moved my gentoo install from an old drive to a newer drive,
2 and then into a new computer. I used rsync to copy the system over to
3 the new drive. That all worked mostly no problem and the everything
4 boots up and runs fine on the new computer.
5
6 But, xscreensaver cannot recognize my password. It just says incorrect
7 (or permission denied?) and will not unlock. I had to switch to vt1,
8 log in, and kill xscreensaver.
9
10 Similar with "crontab -e" (as a regular user). It tells me I do not have
11 permission:
12
13 "You (chris) are not allowed to access to (crontab) because of pam
14 configuration."
15
16 In the logs, I get:
17
18 "unix_chkpwd[4603]: could not obtain user info (chris)"
19
20 I don't believe anything has changed in the configs. I didn't make any
21 changes, and emerge hasn't recently mentioned anything needing
22 etc-update.
23
24 /etc/pam.d/xscreensaver is just:
25
26 auth include system-auth
27
28 /etc/pam.d/crond has more in it:
29
30 auth include system-auth
31 account required pam_access.so
32 account include system-auth
33 session required pam_loginuid.so
34 session include system-auth
35
36 This was all working fine yesterday before the switch. I used crontab -e
37 to turn off a few things in my cron before starting the rsync.
38
39 Any thoughts or ideas?
40
41 Thanks.
44 Chris Spackman chris@××××××××××.com
45
46 ESL Coordinator The Graham Family of Schools
47 ESL Instructor Columbus State Community College
48 MA TESOL Adjunct Ohio Dominican University