From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard drive RPMs and data speed.
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 04:12:11
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 27.10.2011 19:30, schrieb Dale:
3 > I just wonder how much data they will be able to pack into a 3.5" drive
4 > tho. Hmmmmm. Surely they will run out of room at some point. I mean,
5 > the heads have got to have a little room to work with.
6 >
7 > Dale
8 >
9 > :-) :-)
10 >
11 > Well, then this story might cheer you up ;)
12 > http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/10/researchers-increase-hard-drive-density-sixfold-with-salt.ars
13 >
14 > Regards,
15 > Florian Philipp
18 Good Golly Ms Molly.
19
20 "and have been able to fabricate magnetic storage media with a density
21 of 3.3 terabits per square inch."
22
23 What is there about 10 or 12 square inches for a 3.5" drive? That's
24 about 30TBs. O_O That would take me a while to fill up even if I had a
25 really fast DSL line. WOW !!
26
27 Hmmmm, NCIS, all the CSI's, Criminal Minds, Numb3rs, and lots of
28 others. Heck, I could cut off DirecTv then. Just get that Hulu thingy
29 and go nuts. Does Hulu work with Linux? Seems I read it doesn't.
30 Anyway, still a LOT of shows.
31
32 Dale
33