From: Xianwen Chen <xianwen.chen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network message encryption
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:03:14
1 Hi Mike,
2
3 On 8/17/09, Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > I'm using gajim with TLS-enabled (transport-level encryption) connection
6 > to the servers and built-in GPG plugin to encrypt messages, containing
7 > some auth info, which I occasionally have to pass.
8 > I believe pidgin also had support for such feature via one of the
9 > standard plugins.
10
11 Thanks for the information. I've checked the wikipedia page of gajim.
12 It's very interesting, however, I'm not a jabber user. But I'll check
13 it again if any friend of mine is using jabber, since the GPG plugin
14 is very attractive to me.
15
16 Best regards,
17
18 Wen
21 > TLS is widely-deployed on XMPP (jabber) servers, but encryption ends at
22 > the server in question, so it can intercept / mangle the messages, so it
23 > might be good idea to prefer large and reliable servers to
24 > possibly-compromised or malicious small ones.
25 > Furthermore, in case of XMPP, your (source) server is free to pass the
26 > message in unencrypted form to destination server, so message can be
27 > caught by any IP-sniffers on the route.
28 > Then there's also remote client connection, which can be unencrypted
29 > (no TLS/SSL) and likewise intercepted on TCP/IP level.
30 >
31 > GPG encryption requires clients on both sides to support it, but has
32 > benefit that all cryptographic operations are happening on client
33 > machines, so server (or any intermediate host) is unable to spoof
34 > conversation, provided the encryption (GPG) keys aren't compromised.
35 >
36 > --
37 > Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net
42 Xianwen Chen