From: "Anthony E. Caudel" <acaudel@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Upgrade + gcc dilemma
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 07:54:03
1 Just got my laptop back up after having been down for awhile and it is
2 in dire need of an upgrade. After syncing, a -uDvp world showed about
3 100 packages needing upgrading, one of which was gcc, from 3.3 to 3.4.
4 I decided to do it first since most packages seemed dependent on it so
5 headed over to the GCC migration guide and followed the instructions.
6
7 I noticed that it said I might have some problems if I used the
8 revdep-rebuild method so I decided to use the emerge -e method instead.
9 Followed the instructions up to the point of issuing an emerge -e and
10 then I realized it would rebuild the 100 packages that would then
11 shortly be upgraded. Or if I did the upgrade first, the emerge -e would
12 recompile the packages I had just upgraded.
13
14 So, my problem is, how do I avoid the extra 100, unnecessary compiles?
15 I tried "emerge --emptytree --upgrade -p" but it ignored the upgrade
16 option so I can't combine them that way.
17
18 Should I backup and use the revdep-rebuild method after the upgrade?
19 Would it avoid compiling the packages just upgraded?
20
21 I seems a possible solution would be to do the upgrade but save a list
22 of the packages to be upgraded. Make a 2nd list of the packages to be
23 recompiled with the --emptytree option. Remove the upgraded packages
24 from the emptytree list and, using some command line involving xargs,
25 recompile the remaining packages in the emptytree list.
26
27 I apologize for any obtuseness and over-complexity here and I realize,
28 that in the time spent asking the question, I probably could have had
29 the compiles done by now. However the laptop runs hot and I want to
30 avoid the extra stress on it.
31
32 Any thoughts?
33
34 Tony
35 --
36 Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
37 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
38 -- Benjamin Franklin
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list