From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strangeness in dep calculation
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 21:18:47
1 On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 22:48:44 +0200, Roman Zilka wrote:
2
3 > Not quite. This is how I'm thinking: if '-ep world' says virtual/pam
4 > needs to be installed, then it either
5 > * is in the world file, or
6 > * is in the system set, or
7 > * is a buildtime or runtime dependency (immediate or deep) of one of the
8 > packages in the world set (i.e., world file and system set combined).
9
10 There's another possibility, that it is one of a number of packages that
11 satisfy a particular dependency, the first listed one. If you have
12 another package installed that fulfils this dependency, emerge -u world
13 won't need to do anything, but with emerge -e world you are telling
14 portage that the other package is not installed, so it picks the first
15 dependency from the list.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 I'm not opinionated, I'm just always right!