From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running Gentoo in VirtualBox
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 20:33:13
1 On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 31/12/2017 21:40, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> I'm using Gentoo as a server (so it runs 24/7) Apache, Asterisk, Hylafax
4 >> etc.
5 >>
6 >> What are my chances to run Gentoo as a VirtualBox?
7 >>
8 >> Installing Gentoo takes me 2-3 days (basic setup min., I don't do it
9 >> every month so I have to go through Gentoo handbook); to configure it
10 >> the way I want it takes another week or two.
11 >>
12 >> So I was thinking, if I run Windows 10 and configure Gentoo as a
13 >> virtual box it might be easier to transfer it from one system to
14 >> another, in case there is a HD failure (like it just happened to me
15 >> yesterday).
16 >>
17 >> Any input will be appreciated.
18 >> I know I might have problem with Serial port and receiving faxes via
19 >> HylaFax as they are time sensitive.
22 > Virtualization here will not solve your risk or effort exposure. It will
23 > increase it.
26 I agree: this way lies pain.
27
28 Firstly, if you must use Windows, I highly recommend using Hyper-V
29 over VirtualBox or VMWare/ESXi. It is free and has better hardware
30 configuration support.
31
32 Secondly, the backup scheme you are wanting to implement is easier and
33 more robustly done with LVM. Even if you don't want to deal with that,
34 rsync over SSH is secure and easy to set up. More complicated
35 solutions like BorgBackup may ultimately be the most appropriate.
36
37 Thirdly, save your configuration files so you do not need to reread
38 the documentation each time you install a system. Look at Gentoo stage
39 4 tarballs and programs like Ansible or Puppet. You might also
40 consider running Debian. Gentoo is nice, but not necessary or even
41 suitable for every use case.
42
43 Cheers,
44 R0b0t1