From: Bill Roberts <billbalt@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Alternative Window Managers
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:14:36
1 On 03:18 Fri 30 Dec , Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > I'm wanting to experiment with some alternative window managers. I've
3 > already emerged them, but I'd like to have them available as separate
4 > sessions when I log in, and possibly migrate to one of them as default (or
5 > only) session available.
6
7 Over the past 3 years, I have been on a quest for a minimalist and
8 functional window/desktop manager. It seems like I've tried everything. I
9 started off with kde, hated the kitchensink approach they take, so I moved
10 to gnome, which was, indeed, more subdued, some say boring. The standard
11 package fit me okay, but it was so heavyweight, I used none of the desktop
12 function except freecell and the weather applet.
13
14 So I went minimalist with kahakai, interesting, but ultimately not worth
15 the ongoing effort, then to ratpoison. which I dumped after a week or two.
16 Brief visits to ion and icewm, finally settled on XFCE-4 for maybe a year
17 and a half. It's minimalist as a desktop manager, but again, I used almost
18 none of its functionality, I do everything except surfing the web from the
19 commandline.
20
21 I saw a number of people who opinions I value using fluxbox, so I decided
22 to try that. I'm glad it came with good recommendations, because when I
23 opened it up in its default configuration, it was almost as butt-ugly as
24 ratpoison. I emerged the themes, played around with them, settled down with
25 one, and now feel settled. The ease of configuration, the basic simplicity,
26 the choice of themes, seems "just right" for me.
27
28 Good luck in finding the one that is "just right" for you.
29
30 Bill Roberts