From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Accessing CVS on non-standard port
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 17:34:07
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 02:45 on Friday 26 November 2010, Michael
2 Orlitzky did opine thusly:
3
4 > On 11/24/2010 04:35 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > I need to get to the work CVS server from home. It's not exposed to the
6 > > internet but never fear! we have ssh -L and a convenient sshd host that
7 > > is on the internets. So, locally
8 > >
9 > > ssh -Llocalhost:1111:cvs.example.com:22 alan@×××××××××××××××.com
10 > >
11 > > and tell cvs that the server is localhost:1111
12 > >
13 > > I do this all the time for lots of other stuff. Doesn't work for CVS
14 > > because there's no way to tell cvs to tell ssh what port to use.
15 > >
16 > > Google gives lots of hits about using the host-specific Host directive in
17 > > ~/.ssh/config but that won't work for me - it assumes I can see the CVS
18 > > server directly and doesn't take into account that I have port
19 > > forwarding in the way.
20 > >
21 > > Anyone know a way to get cvs to use any port other than 22? I'm receptive
22 > > to alternate cvs clients with this support, just not ones that tweak ssh
23 > > to do it.
24 >
25 > Use a full-blown tunnel instead of redirection magic.
26
27 [snip]
28
29 Sorry for the late reply to everyone, I was having a good long hard think
30 about this.
31
32 A full-blown tunnel is attractive, except for this thing at work called The
33 Security Forum and it has powers that the TSA in the States have wet dreams
34 over. If I was caught running an un-sanctioned into the corporate network,
35 there would be carnage.
36
37 Seeing as I am a founding member of said Forum, and it's most vocal member,
38 and the person who brings 3 out of 4 cases before it so that users can
39 understand how we do stuff, I *really* don't want to invoke the ire of my
40 peers :-)
41
42 So I've gone with plan B: use the official VPN, even though it sucks. Lucky
43 I'm on Linux so "route del" undoes most of it's sillyness.
44
45 Thanks anyway for all the responses.
48 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com