From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Safe systemd "reload" command
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 13:37:56
1 On 06/05/2016 03:23 AM, J. García wrote:
2 > I run systemd , but I have not tested your script, as of now I'm not
3 > using spamassassin, but I will at some time in near future; but looking
4 > at the script, I see some problems, you run the OpenRC restart commands
5 > even if systemd is available, further it doesn't know which one is
6 > running, as both can be installed(And are installed if using systemd),
7
8 That's what the "/etc/init.d/spamd status" command is meant to check.
9 The "... status" will only return success if you are running spamd via
10 openrc. Likewise, as I understand it (but haven't tested), the
11 "systemctl try-restart spamassassin" command will only work if you are
12 *using* systemd and the spamassassin service is running. They should be
13 harmless otherwise.
14
15 For example...
16
17 # spamd --daemonize
18 # /etc/init.d/spamd status
19 * status: stopped
20 # echo $?
21 3
22
23 If on the first line I had done "systemctl start spamassassin.service",
24 I should get the same result, so the openrc reload commands will be
25 skipped for systemd users.
26
27 I did take your suggestion and check for rc-service though. I shouldn't
28 count on openrc being in @system forever.