From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] recommendation for a router/WAP
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 01:10:55
1 I have a linksys wrt54G that is acting a little funny.
2
3 Since my new laptop supports 1Gig wired ethernet and the wrt is 100Meg,
4 I should upgrade even if the "funny" turns out to be just a config error
5 on my laptop.
6
7 This is a home system.
8
9 My requirements are modest.
10
11 1. >= 4 wired ethernet ports for systems/devices (at least 1 port 1Gig)
12 2. Wireless access point 802.11 b/g (n would be nice; a ok)
13 3. dhcp (with settable addresses see below*)
14 4. Availability in U.S.
15
16 * I am actually running the so-called "tomato firmware". The std
17 firmware did not let me set specific dhcp addresses for specific
18 sources. This is important to me. My laptop is 192.168.1.70, one
19 printer is .50, the other .55, two other laptops are .72, and .75.,
20 Hence an /etc/hosts file lets each machine access the others by name
21
22 My isp cablevision/optonline provides a modem with a wired ethernet
23 port. The router/wap should have an ethernet port (beyond the 4 above)
24 to accept the modem output (I realize it is all bidirectional).
25
26 Suggestions?
27
28 thanks,