From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] qt3support USE flag. Is it needed now?
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 19:53:10
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 21:40 on Thursday 07 October 2010, Dale did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I have a question. I'm using KDE4, about to switch to 4.5.2. Do I need
7 > qt3support anymore? I'm talking about the USE flag qt3support. I run
8 > into blocks sometimes and I know KDE3 needed qt3. I'm just curious if I
9 > can get rid of this USE flag now. I only have KDE4 installed. No more
10 > KDE3 left that I know of.
13 By and large you can't do without it. It supplies a Qt3 interface from Qt4 so
14 that Qt3 apps can run on Qt4.
15
16 Note that it has nothing to do with KDE per se and everything to do with Qt.
17 You likely have quite a few Qt apps that are not from KDE (skype comes to mind
18 but I forget which Qt it uses nowadays).
19
20 Try remove it by all means. If the ebuilds don't whinge it's worth a try. What
21 have you got to lose? Compile Qt (about an hour), revdep-rebuild (another hour
22 maybe) and some testing. BOINC will lose out on some cycles but there's enough
23 users out there to take up your slack :-)
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com