From: Arthur Britto <ahbritto@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good file system that recovers from a power failure.
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 20:48:42
1 Hi,
2
3 If you don't use a UPS, what you want is journaling file system that is
4 configured to do a lot of syncing. However, the syncing will make
5 writing really slow.
6
7 Ext4 has the latest features. Especially, if you want to use an SSD.
8
9 To really be reliable you must use a UPS which can signal when a clean
10 shutdown is needed. Not having one is just asking for grief. With this
11 functionality, you will not need the excessive syncing and writing can
12 be fast.
13
14 Additionally, if you don't have the cleanest power, having a UPS will
15 extend the life of the hard drive and potentially the rest of the system
16 as well as eliminating apparently random data corruption.
17
18 I very much like the CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series. It has a USB
19 connection which works with sys-power/nut and an LCD display.
20
21 -Arthur
22