From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mounting Question...
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 10:03:19
1 On Friday 21 December 2007 18:46:52 Mick wrote:
2
3 > The problem with some distros installation scripts is that they are
4 > trying to be too clever for their own good. As a result they some times
5 > behave like MS Windows and unless you whip them into submission they
6 > could trash your system!
7
8 Exactly the cause of my nervousness.
9
10 > What I always do is to create the partitions and LV that I want and then
11 > instruct the distro in question to install itself in there. Of course if
12 > the distro in question does not have an LVM compatible kernel then you'll
13 > need to install it using a different medium (with a kernel that has all
14 > the necessary drivers) and untar the distro's fs into your partitions of
15 > choice.
16
17 So much simpler just to manage my own partitions. Good for the confidence,
18 too, not to mention the feeling of knowing what's going on.
19
20 The rest of the world will no doubt continue to keep up with all the latest
21 developments, but in this respect I prefer to remain a dinosaur. (They did,
22 after all, rule the world for hundreds of millions of years, even if
23 they're not still around today - thousands of times longer than we can yet
24 claim.)
27 Rgds
28 Peter
29 --