From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] swapping processor problem
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 07:35:06
1 I have two gentoo boxes, X has an ASUS M2NPV-VM with AMD64 3500+ CPU, Y
2 has a AMD64 X2 5600+ CPU. Since I need more juice on X I thought I could
3 swap CPUs.
4
5 After updating X's BIOS the system with the 'new' CPU boots up to the
6 MythTv screen with no error but does not respond to the USB keyboard nor
7 to the remote control keypresses. More precisely:
8
9 - keyboard is fine at grub boot, I can select up and down or edit the
10 entries
11 - keyboard is no longer responsive at the init scripts start (when you
12 can press 'I' to select services)
13
14 My first thought was that X (and Y) WERE compiled with '-march=native'
15 GCC flag and maybe the 5600+ does not execute properly the 3500+ code.
16 But a quick search on wikipedia shows that 5600+ has a superset of the
17 3500+ so I should have problems putting the 3500+ in the Y box, not
18 vice-versa.
19
20 Any suggestions?
21