From: Kristian Poul Herkild <kristian@×××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is portage trying to pull in xorg when I don't use it...
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 05:29:24
1 Daevid Vincent wrote:
2 >
3 > OMG! 'links' pulls in _92_ package dependencies?! That's silly.
4 >
5 > What confuses me even more now, is that AFAIK, "links" is (according to the
6 > man page) "lynx-like alternative character mode WWW browser", so why then
7 > all the x11 dependencies and such. Shouldn't this thing, by definition, just
8 > work in console mode without all that extra crap?
9 >
10 > I "solved" this by adding this to /etc/portage/package.use:
11 >
12 > www-client/links -X -directfb -fbcon gpm -javascript -jpeg -livecd -png -sdl
13 > ssl -svga -tiff -unicode
14 >
15 > But what seems silly to me is that why does this have jpeg, png, tiff
16 > support if it's in console mode? Will "links" actually SHOW an image? I've
17 > NEVER seen it do that (on any other linux box, even with X support)
20 You probably didn't add -X and so on to your make.conf. And yes, links2
21 can show images when compiled against this and that.
22
23 That's what it's doing on my machine, and it works almost as well as dillo.
24
25 -Kristian Poul Herkild
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list